Why We Pray
Prayer is the Christian’s greatest tool that our Lord has provided. It is through prayer that the Christian beckons the heart of God. Prayer throughout the Bible enables every Christian to recognize his spiritual condition in the presence of our righteous God. Scripture reminds us to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). In the letter of Philippians, we are instructed to “let our requests be made known unto God”(4:6).
Our Lord Jesus Christ taught His disciples a model of prayer (Matthew 6:9-13). Our Lord used prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane to aid Him in His darkest hour before the crucifixion. Prayer is every Christian’s source of power to understand the heart of God and perform the will of God. Prayer is mentioned 132 times throughout the Bible. This fact alone should move us into prayer more frequently in our walk of faith.
To sum it up, here are seven reasons why every Christian should pray.
1. Prayer builds our relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Prayer helps us overcome temptation.
3. Prayer helps us determine God’s will.
4. Prayer accomplishes God’s will.
5. Prayer is our weapon against spiritual warfare.
6. Prayer is a prerequste to spiritual awakening
7. Prayer is valuable to God.